You are at: Rodewald Concert Society History

THE RODEWALD CONCERT SOCIETY
Supporting the best Chamber Music on Merseyside

RODEWALD CONCERT SOCIETY History    
   


   Home

 

 

Rodewald plaque

The Rodewald Concert Society was formed in 1911 in memory of the celebrated benefactor and conductor in Liverpool Alfred E Rodewald (1861 – 1903). For many years the Society has been the premier organisation in Liverpool and on Merseyside responsible for bringing some of the finest International Chamber Music Groups to the region.    Notable in this endeavour were the opportunities extended to local audiences and chamber music supporters to hear Quartets such as the Catterall, Amadeus, Smetana, Janacek and Melos as well as musicians such as Paul Tortellier and the Beaux Arts Trio.   Commissions of new works also featured among its other activities.

While the Society suffered from a period of financial difficulty during the 1990s, the support and enthusiasm of chamber music lovers in Merseyside and its present Chairman, the Society was able to refocus its activities and relaunched, but income was continually an issue. The result was the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic taking on its role in providing a Chamber Music Series. The series continues to have a wide remit to meet its role in provision of mainstream Chamber Music with Quartet Concerts, Piano recitals and other groups and ensembles.

While the Society remains an independent Charity, its focus of activities has changed to one of supporting existing chamber music provision in Liverpool by working closely with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic to support concerts given by up and coming younger artuists as a part of the Chamber Music concerts Series. The Society has also supported an range of initiatives at the University of Liverpool by offer support for schools to attend concerts and workshops as part of widening participation.

The Society commissioned two works by the late John McCabe and Emily Howard in recognition of its Centenary Year. Furthermore, a special event was held in January 2012 to mark the 150th Anniversary of the birth of Alfred Rodewald. During 2017, the Society supported a fine concert by Armida Quartet and several concerts and events at the University of Liverpool.

Chamber Music in Liverpool is now firmly established in the wonderfully refurbished St Georges Hall Small Concert Hall. The concerts are held in its intimate and acoustically fine environment. The smaller size of the hall meets the atmosphere needed for Chamber Music. Special events will also be held from time to time at the Philharmonic Hall in its new small hall provision following its recetn refurbishment, such as the series of concerts devoted to the Bach Cello Suites, performed by Jonathan Asgaard. The main Philharminic Hall was built in the 1930s and continues to provide some the best acoustic conditions of any hall in Europe.

For those interested in further historical archive material, the Society Archives are now held in the Liverpool Record office.

Click here for a direct link to the Rodewald Archives in the on-line catalogue: Liverpool Record Office Rodewald Concert Society

 


For further information, please email the Chairman.


 


   © Rodewald Concert Society 2017 Webmaster P H Dangerfield